Hotel History

A country house hotel 1000 years in the making…

There is evidence of settlement in the Mellington area for over 1000 years, with Mellington mentioned as “Millington” in the Doomsday Book of 1086 as a moated Saxon house on the old estate.

The oldest recorded owner of Mellington and the surrounding area was the 2nd Marquess of Powis, William Herbert (1665–1745).

The present hall was built in the Gothic revivalist style. This was started by the Browne family after the original house on the estate burnt down and was completed in 1876 by the Wright family.

Read More >

Mellington Hall is a country house hotel steeped in history …

The Wrights owned Mellington estate, which totaled 1923 acres, from 1873 to 1903. It was Phillip Wright’s passion for building that led him to employ a local architect Mr Evan Powell. Powell was the designer for many of the Gothic revivalist buildings in the Montgomery area. Phillip Wright was responsible for extensive alterations and enlargement of the estate, he was responsible for most of Mellington Hall as it stands today including the carriage entrances and estate lodges. He built the stables, swimming bath block and circular cast iron staircase that winds down to a chapel and the rooms for the male servants. He had the tower, five additional rooms and the nursery leading up to the tower built for 5 of his seven sons who at this time were living at home. Due to his keen sense of duty, he also built the Mellington School and refurbished the parish church.

Most of Phillip Wright’s childhood was spent at Osmaston Manor, in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. There are many similarities between Osmaston Manor and Mellington Hall. Features common to both houses include the tower block, design of the interior rooms and well preserved extensive wine cellar. Both sites had William Morris rooms, billiard rooms and made use of Carrara marble – a type of white or blue-grey marble quarried at the city of Carrara at the northernmost tip of modern-day Tuscany, Italy – for flooring, fire places and pillars.

In 1903 the Mellington estate was sold to Sydney Rankin Heap, but it is believed that in between these times the house stood empty for a number of years. Mr Heap was responsible for bringing the plumbing and electrics up to date. Whilst carrying out renovations Sydney Heap installed central heating and was determined to decorate the hall lavishly to bring it up to date with Victorian expectations. He also had 4 tennis courts built.

The Heap family crest can be found in two distinct places. One being on the gate entrance at the bottom of the drive and the other at the front entrance to the hall. The motto translates as “Peace & Harmony”.  An appropriate testimony to the Mellington Hall Hotel of today.

Sydney and his wife Frances had five children, all of whom lived at Mellington until they married. In 1957 Mr Heap passed away at the hall. He was buried in Churchstoke parish. One month later the Mellington Hall and estate was put up for sale.  The estate was sold, with the contents of the hall divided amongst the children.

This was to be the end of its era as a private estate as it became a country club, and latterly the country house hotel, restaurant and wedding venue you see today.   In 2014, Lance and Vanessa Thomas celebrated 12 years at the helm of Mellington Hall country house hotel.

Today Mellington Hall country house hotel is a popular wedding, luxury hotel and fine dining venue.